Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sprint and Android

I've got a new phone! My Palm Pre (which I really liked) developed a flaw in the face plate. Sprint kindly replaced it with a new one. However, the new one never performed very well--in particular it wouldn't hold a charge for more than 3-4 hours. I went back to my Sprint corporate store, where they checked it out, reloaded the software and told me that they couldn't find anything wrong with it. After two days in DC, which I spent mostly without a phone during the day, I called back to the store and talked to the manager. The resolution was that he set me up with a new HTC EVO for nothing and no extension to my contract. Talk about customer service! We've been Sprint customers for almost two decades from the time we lived in KC and we really didn't want to switch. Our loyalty is now assured.

My new HTC EVO Android phone? It's fabulous. I don't use the 4G feature much, because out here in the sticks, I'm just over the hill from a good signal. But I tell you, if 4G is faster than Sprint's 3G network, it's nearly instantaneous. There's not a lot of difference in speed between my phone and my cable internet hook up. I'm an Apple guy and I've always coveted an iPhone, but not any longer. The EVO is blazingly fast and does everything you'd want a cell phone to do--especially provide crystal clear phone calls.

The EVO has all sorts of features I haven't tried out yet--like functioning as a five connection wi-fi hotspot. It's going to be fun figuring everything out.

No comments: