Friday, December 17, 2010

Education

This piece by Ken Robinson came to me from my sister by way of my daughter (both of whom are professional educators). It confirms things I have learned from my wife, who is also a professional educator. One really interesting thing is how the graphical presentation makes it so much more real. Probably a further indication of the truth of what Robinson says.

The thing that puzzles me is that in terms of received measures, the US is being beaten in most scientific areas by countries where education is even more regimented than here. Does this mean we are doing an increasingly worse job at an outdated approach to education? On the other hand, I think the US still leads in invention (creativity)--measured by most of the usual conventions. I guess the big question is: Could we do even better?

No comments: