Sunday, October 28, 2007

Halloween Update

I'm going to try to be better about updating my blog. I'm shooting for once a week, but my life now seems so mundane that it's hard to single out the things worth blogging about. Retirement is still not quite real (or maybe it is and I just didn't know what to expect). We still haven't completely settled in--still buying furniture and other things for the house. My current project is finishing off a desk for our daughter. We thought we had found the perfect one for her room, but when it arrived and we started putting it together, we realized that it had no top. The one in the showroom had a roll top and we asked if we could get it with a flat top. The sales person went away to check the catalogue and then told us that we could order the base without the roll top. Well, that much was correct, but that flat part of the top was connected to the roll part of the top. So now I am trying to finish a piece of wood to use as a top. We'll see if retirement has made me any handier.

I have noticed a couple of differences about retirement--I never know what day it is and I've stopped wearing my watch. It's not that time is less important, it's just that it's less important when it is. I do have to keep track of tee times, so on those days I do pay a little more attention to the time.

Speaking of golf, I'm still waiting for my game to come around. My main problem is not that I don't have any good rounds, it's that I'm really inconsistent. A couple of weeks ago I shot 90, which for someone who's played as little as I have over the past few years is not bad. But my 90 for 18 holes was made up of a 52 on the front 9 and a 38 on the back 9 (that's 16 over par and 2 over par). In Florida, I shot 98 one day and 83 the other on courses of equal difficulty. I'm hoping that the good scores are where I'll end up.

We wewnt to a pumpkin carving/backyard warming party at Chris and Tim's last night. It was a lot of fun. Tons of good food (Tim is a fabulous cook) and some pumpkin carving. Here are some pictures. My granddaughter as a cat:



And some pumpkin head:







Here's how I keep up with the grandkids. This is my daughter and me talking to my Texas grandchild:



She's an early Skype adopter. She also has pretty good hardware for a five month old.

No comments: