Thursday, October 4, 2007

Am I retired?

This week marked my first return to things Fed. I attended a conference at the Dallas Fed for a couple of days. I was invited to help present some of the training projects I've been working on the past couple of years to the general capital markets population. I jumped at the opportunity because it gave me a chance to get together with some colleagues I hadn't seen since August. It turned out that one of the purposes was also to pay me some nice compliments for the work I've done. One of my friends/colleagues from the Board got up and said a lot of nice things about me and then gave me a framed set of Federal Reserve notes--one from each district--each with the signature of the people from that Bank with whom I've worked during the past few years. I was a very nice gesture (and a cool gift) and I really appreciated it. Then another colleague--a native Texan--presented me with a new Stetson hat and a Waterford crystal vase from the folks involved with all the training work we've been doing. The hat fits perfectly, so I'll have to get some western wear to go with it.

I really appreciated the gifts, but more than that I appreciated all the nice things people said about me. I feel really fortunate that I had the opportunity to work with so many outstanding colleagues over the past nine years. I have to admit that all the attention has embarrassed me a little because I know that a lot of what is being credited to me belongs just as much to the people I've had the pleasure to work with.

The visit was nice and seeing everyone was great, but I find that I have no regrets about retiring. I'm sure that partly it's because I haven't yet come to the point where I'll have to ask myself "OK--what do I do next?" There's also the prospect that I'll stay a little connected through some of the work I've agreed to do for the System over the next few months. It's nice to be able to ease my exit. I'm out of sight, but not entirely out of mind.

No comments: