Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Ramsey Cascades Death March

I decided to accompany Tim and Ron on a hike up to the Ramsey Cascade, one of the many waterfalls in the Smokey Mountains National Park and the tallest at 100 feet. Four miles in and four miles back. Piece of cake, right? Wrong. I forgot to mention the 2000 foot elevation change. About 500 feet of it comes in the last 1000 yards. Going up was a load for my heart and lungs and coming down really tested my quads and calves--I still can't easily walk up and down stairs two days later. Tim kept a close eye on me, stopping to take pictures whenever I had to slow down. The scenery was beautiful and the cascade was as pretty as advertised. I took about 80 frames, mostly on the way up. (Tim took about 400--a measure of how much he had to wait on me.)

Here are some samples:

It was a perfect day 

 

Here are some shots of the stream that runs by the trail



And a picture of the cascades themselves, at least the upper part.



I also tried some "art" shots. I'm trying to learn how to use my new camera to its fullest. It's going to take a while.





No comments: